Resurrection Sunday, Easter Sunday, Palm Sunday, Good Friday. These are celebration days and days of remembrance.
Our family has done many activities that have turned into traditions that celebrate and draw out the Truths of these days. We have celebrated Lent, played with Resurrection Eggs, and made Resurrection Cookies. We are always looking for ways to inspire and bring about experiential truths in the hearts of our children.
One of my favorite and beloved family traditions is the Resurrection Garden.
Here is the Cast of Characters:
We picked up the terra-cotta saucer, small terra-cotta planter, potting soil and fast-growing grass seed at our local hardware store. If you are a Seeds Family Box subscriber, you received a bag of seeds in your March box. We collected rocks and sticks from our yard.
Ideally, you plant your Resurrection Garden at the start of Holy Week, Palm Sunday. The goal is to plant it, wait and watch for it to sprout and grow a pot full of grass by Easter/Resurrection Sunday. It works… you will have grass 7 days later…the prettiest grass you have ever seen!
Palm Sunday is the day that we remember and celebrate the day Jesus entered into Jerusalem as Savior and King. Read Matthew 21: 1-11 aloud as a family. Then say, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest heaven!” Matthew 21:9
1. Add your collected rocks to the bottom of your planter to build it up.
2. Add your soil and small terra-cotta planter to the larger planter to create your soil bed.
3. Add grass seeds to your soil bed.
4. Use a water bottle and spray your entire planter and saturate your grass seeds.
5. Add additional rocks to your planter as decoration. You can add peat moss or any other garden decorations. Be creative. Let your kids be creative!
6. Water your garden daily using a spray bottle.
Read Matthew 27:32- 56 aloud as a family.
This is great!